12 Days of Christmas Song – a Catechism
People often think of the Twelve Days of Christmas as the days preceding the festival. Actually, Christmas is a season of the Christian Year that last for days beginning December 25 and lasting until January 6 – the Day of Epiphany – when the church celebrates the revelation of Christ as the light of the world and recalls the journey of the Magi.
From 1558 until 1829 Catholics in England were not allowed to practice their faith openly. During this era someone wrote ‘The Twelve Days of Christmas’ as a kind of secret catechism that could be sung in public without risk of persecution. The song has two levels of interpretation: the surface meaning plus a hidden meaning known only to members of the church.
Each element in the carol is a code word for a religious reality:
- The partridge in a pear tree is Jesus Christ
- The two turtle doves are the Old and New Testaments
- Three French hens stand for faith, hope and love
- The four calling birds are the four Gospels
- The five gold rings recall the Torah (Law), the first five books of the Old Testament
- The six geese a-laying stand for the six days of creation
- Seven swans a-swimming represent the sevenfold gifts of the Spirit
- The eight maids a-milking are the eight beatitudes
- Nine ladies dancing are the nine fruits of the spirit (Gal.5)
- The ten lords a-leaping are the Ten Commandments
- Eleven pipers piping stand for the eleven faithful disciples
- Twelve drummers drumming symbolize the 12 points of belief in the Apostles Creed
There you have it, the HIDDEN meaning of “The Twelve Days of Christmas” and the secret behind the song.
Catholics also wore rings with 10 bumps on them so they could do their rosary and not be caught with the beads in public.
Lord Jesus, let Your prayer of unity for Christians become a reality, in Your way. We have absolute confidence that you can bring your people together, we give you absolute permission to move.
Keep Christ in Christmas Poster Contest
$25 Grand Prize
Contact Mary Willadsen
Church of St. Boniface
4025 Main Street
St. Bonifacius, MN 55375
Phone: 952-446-1054 Extension 25
Faith Formation & Youth Ministry
Director: Mary Willadsen
Grades Preschool – 12th & Youth Ministry
KC Keep Christ in Christmas Poster Winners
$25 Cash Prize to Each Winner
5 to 7 Year Old – Aaliyah Dietz
8 to 10 Year Old – Emma Carlson
11-14 Year Old – Sabrina Pietrafitta